Monday, September 8, 2008

Runko Designs - Teaching the 50 States song

Well, school has officially started and so has the homework; however, I can only guess, because my son has yet to bring any home...hmmmmmmm, something fishy in the air; but, he has until next week to produce some. That's when I'll be going to Open House to meet with his teacher. At which time, we'll both discover if he can be trusted or not! In the meantime, his Papa has challenged him to learn the 50 States. Something they apparently aren't so focused on at this age in Elementary School, strange because I can remember having to learn them myself. But to make comment on that would take me into a mini lecture on the SOL's and here is not the place for that.

The challenge is to learn 6 states at a time. Each time he visits with his grandparents, he has to learn 6 more. Now to reinforce these learnings, we get random calls from Papa asking him to recite what he has learned. Well, knowing my son and the energy or lack of that he'll put into this over a period of time, I did some research on the internet tonight and found a nifty little song that teaches the 50 states in alphabetical order. The way I figure it, is he can knock it all out by learning this song, and hopefully he won't ever forget them. I must admit, I myself struggle to remember all 50 in one sitting, however, I've already learned most of the song tonight, just sitting at the computer. I just had to share the video with you. Hopefully it will be useful to some and especially if you have kids of your own. Leave a comment and let me know how you learned the 50 states and if this video works for you...have fun!

Things you should know,
Dee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a quiz: http://www.ironicsans.com/state22.html Can you name all 50 states in 10 minutes?

Also, I added you to the list of blogs under my network on my blog, http://creativepride.blogspot.com.

Dee said...

Thanks Kat, I added you to my list as well. See you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...