Monday, March 2, 2009

Lights, Camera....Freeze???

When I'm shopping online, the one thing I'm looking for are clear photos of whatever it is I'm purchasing, especially jewelry. I hate visiting an online shop and not being able to see the details of the pieces. (click photo for close up)

When I first started putting pictures online to show of my work, it didn't take me long to figure out that there was actually an art to photographing jewelry, not that I'm an expert by far, but I'm a lot better at it than when I first started out. I wish I had taken photos along the way, of the different set ups I've used, just to provide a chronological story of my progression. I've gone from buckets, to Tupperware, to scanners, to outside, to you name it. I won't even mention how many types of light bulbs I've experimented with.

The current photos on my shop were taken in a light tent that I built from cardboard, but it was way too big and not very portable, so it had to go! Of course that left me with only one option of buying a new toy, what else was there to do? I had my eye on the flexible type in the photo to the right, so I purchased this recently from Ritz Camera shop, and I took my first couple of pictures today...I'm liking it! Its portable, and light and I can hide it when I'm done. The key to taking good photos of jewelry is to diffuse the light, capture all the colors and be able to zoom in for close up shots that will capture the details of the piece. I'm really looking forward to playing around more with my new set up, and Photoshop and hopefully, getting even better pictures especially of metals and pearls.

Pictures is just one important factor when starting an online business, leave me a comment and let me know what other things you look for when shopping on line. I'm looking forward to hearing and possibly adding some of your suggestions to my own shop.

Unveiling the detail,
Dee

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...